Family escapes injury as home is gutted by fire

No injuries reported in Mt. Vernon blaze that likely started on kitchen stove
 There were no injuries as a result of a Mt. Vernon house fire that started around the 7 o’clock hour the evening of Monday, Feb. 17 at 422 S. Hickory Street. The conflagration, which began in the kitchen while the family was home, is believed to have originated from an unattended pan of cooking oil on a hot stove, said Mt. Vernon Fire Chief Brad DeLay. The emergency was reported with a 911 call.
By the time firefighters arrived, the home was fully engulfed and the family had made it outdoors unscathed.
Mt. Vernon firefighters were assisted in battling the blaze by units from the Freistatt and Stotts City fire protection districts.
Crews tended to the situation until midnight, at which point it was clear the house was a total loss. According to the Lawrence County Assessor’s map the property is owned by Brad Longley.
The home was occupied by Jaye Jiles and Leslie Brown and their four daughters. Donations for the family are being taken at Town and Country Power Center in Mt. Vernon. (Photos by Tish McBride)
 

Category:

Lawrence County Record

312 S. Hickory St.
Mt. Vernon, MO, 65712
www.lawrencecountyrecord.com

Facebook

Please Login for Premium Content